Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GReAT thoughts: Awesome IDA Pro plugins
Bug 
Quote:
[Image: sl_ida_plugins_01.png]

The Global Research & Analysis Team here at Kaspersky has a tradition of meeting up once a month and sharing cutting-edge research, interesting techniques and useful tools. We recently took the unprecedented decision to make our internal meetings public for a few months and present them as a series of talks called ‘GReAT Ideas. Powered by SAS’. In the second edition that takes place on July 22, 2020, I’ll be talking about awesome IDA Pro plugins that I regularly use. This article is a sneak peek into what I’ll be discussing.

Highlighting control-flow transfer instructions

When you are reverse-engineering a binary it’s very important to follow control-flow transfer instructions and especially those instructions that are used to transfer the control flow to other procedures. For x86/64 architectures this is done by the CALL instruction. If you’re an experienced reverse engineer, you can usually get a general idea of what a function does just by taking a quick look at the function assembly (especially true when the function is relatively small).

When it comes to understanding what a function does, the first thing you’re most likely to do is check how many CALL instructions it has and what other functions they execute. If a function just performs calculations, stores some values in memory, and you don’t really care about such details, then you can skip this function and continue reverse-engineering. It’s quite different when a function executes other functions; you might want to understand what these functions do first to get the bigger picture.

All development environments for writing code support syntax highlighting because it greatly assists in software coding. However, syntax highlighting can also greatly assist in software reversing. Let’s take a quick look at syntax highlight capabilities provided by IDA Pro and other tools for reverse engineering.

As you can see, Immunity Debugger, x64dbg and radare2 all highlight control-flow transfer instructions, but not IDA Pro. The default IDA Pro theme just looks plain. However, it’s possible to brighten things up a bit if you go to “Options -> Colors…”. In the IDA Colors window you can configure different colors for instruction mnemonics, registers, addresses, constants and variables. It makes IDA Pro output much more pleasant on the eye, but it doesn’t solve the problem completely because all instruction mnemonics will have the same color and if you rely on address highlighting, it’s not going to work with indirect function calls. Why doesn’t IDA Pro have an option to highlight CALL instructions? To this day, this omission bothers me. And it seems it’s not just me because there have been a number of scripts and plugins aimed at the same issue – fluorescence.py and highlight_calls.py – to name just a couple. These scripts use API functions set_color()/set_item_color() to set background color behind an instruction. And while it definitely does the job, the final result is not as good as it could be if it was possible to change the color of some particular instruction mnemonics.
Continue Reading