Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The New Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 is HERE!
[Image: p02VD5b.gif]

Ashampoo Backup Pro 17:  Backup, rescue, and restore files with ease!

Overview

Ashampoo has finally released the new build version for their backup and imaging application, Ashampoo® Backup! 

Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 is Windows-based a comprehensive backup solution to back up or restore any file, partition or bootable operating system. Archives can easily be restored in the event of hardware issues or system malware infections. Backups can be created fully automatically thanks to smart background technology that does not interfere with normal PC operation. 

Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 monitors the system load and only becomes active when enough resources are available. Four selectable compression methods and strong encryption ensure space-efficient and secure backup archives. Users have total control over the storage location and medium, from traditional hard disks to online cloud services for maximum accessibility–and this applies to both individual files and entire disk partitions. Restoring archives can either be achieved through the program itself or Windows Explorer. 

[Image: BjSZ4gx.gif]

[Image: VUgks9l.gif]

Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 safely creates backups from any file type, even entire operating systems. The program works fully automatically in the background to prevent data loss. Backups are a reliable way to remedy system failure. In the new version 17, real-time backup detects changes to monitored folders and backs them up as soon as they are registered. Even hard drives locked by Bitlocker can be unlocked and used as storage locations, for example. 

• Real-time backups

Ashampoo Backup Pro 17's real-time backup technology tracks your most important folders for file changes and updates your backups accordingly–and you get to individually pick those folders! This means your files are kept safe automatically and it certainly takes the fear out of sudden crashes or system freeze-ups. During backups, Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 constantly verifies each operation to avoid data inconsistency. This even includes health monitoring for your disk drives, with instant notifications should a drive be on the brink of failure. Never again will you have to worry whether your current archives really include all of your latest files. 

Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 - How to create a real-time backup

[Image: 4iTG11m.png]

[Image: Y6z2EiN.gif]

[Image: ooNxbjx.gif]

[Image: Tsgj318.gif]

[Image: ULaOTZt.gif]

• Space-efficient file storage options 

Ashampoo® Backup offers flexible storage options whether it be External hard drive, USB stick, NAS, or cloud! Ashampoo® Backup Pro saves your backups to any hard disk, USB stick, network drive or cloud service. The advanced disk image feature uses powerful "infinite reverse incremental" technology that takes up little space but offers maximum security. The program supports four different compression methods. Backups created with Ashampoo® Backup Pro require up to 50% less space than other backup solutions!

• Improved Cloud Storage Support

Cloud storage has long been a secure way of backing up your data. As cloud providers keep advancing their services and storage methods, Ashampoo® Backup Pro has been fully updated to support the latest and most secure online data transfer methods! Back up your data to Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, OneDrive Business / Office 365, Owncloud, Telekom MagentaCLOUD, Strato, 1&1 and many others with absolute confidence and avoid speed throttling automatically! Connectivity with the most important cloud providers has been greatly improved in version 17 thanks to a number of adjustments.

[Image: ooL2Nti.png]
  • Rescue system based on the latest Windows

Ashampoo Backup Pro's got your back when disaster strikes and your system crashes. The rescue system is now based on the current Windows version, making it easier to install and use. Our Windows-based state-of-the-art rescue system can reboot your PC either from DVD or USB stick. Instead of a full Windows reinstall, you can then simply restore your previous system backup and return your PC to normal. Save time and effort and keep your PC, and your files, safe with Ashampoo Backup Pro 17!

[Image: Ewg8gBp.gif]

[Image: S7CHd0r.gif]

Alternatively you can download "Ashampoo® Backup Rescue Disc" HERE

• Backup plans in full view

All backups neatly and tidily listed with custom views. Ashampoo® Backup Pro features an even better backup overview that has all the information you need neatly arranged. Find out instantly about recent or upcoming backups and access in-depth details or restore, verify, view, and delete individual archives in a single click. Experience maximum clarity and get the backup management you've always wanted!

[Image: gMickJN.gif]

[Image: MYwwaIb.gif]
  • Disk Checks

Ashampoo® Backup Pro 17 monitors your hard disk's SMART parameters during backups to detect future issues before they happen! This allows you time to react and avoid data loss. The program also features an additional drive / partition check that analyzes and repairs individual sectors. 

[Image: 7kI1Gvr.gif]
  • Bitlocker Support

In case the user has a Bitlocker encrypted drive that has not been unlocked yet, he(the user) will now get a dialog to unlock the drive. This option is now also in the rescue system to be able to unlock the drives there accordingly.

[Image: 498xwgH.png]
  • Full Windows 11 Support

Windows 11 poses new challenges for existing software–not so for Ashampoo® Backup Pro! The Ashampoo team is working hard to ensure full Windows 11 compatibility right off the bat–and in the long run, so you won't have to worry about data security ever again!

FEATURES AT A GLANCE:

• Full System Backup
  • Cloud Support
  • Backup Rescue System
  • Real-time backups
  • State-of-the-art rescue system

Ashampoo Backup Pro v17.02 (2022/12/20)

Version changes:

• Fix problems when creating rescue system
  • Background performance improved
  • Minor bug fixes

PERTINENT LINKS

How to activate your Ashampoo software through a new Ashampoo account

How to activate Ashampoo software without logging into your Ashampoo customer account

How to activate your Ashampoo software through a new Ashampoo account

NOTES:

• Some notes about backups

All backups are created based on backup plans that contain various settings needed for creation, e.g., which data to backup up how often. Backups can either be created at  fixed intervals or manually at the click of a button. Automatic backups (real-time backups) will even be created when the computer is running but no user or a different user is logged on without slowing down your PC as backups will be paused whenever the CPU load surpasses a specific threshold. 

The user is advised to keep his personal  files separate from the system drive and backup to an external drive that isn't permanently connected. This way, it's less likely for ransomware to infect backups. You (the user) may want to backup your personal documents at shorter intervals, e.g., once a week and backup your system drive only once a month or once every four months since this process may take a lot longer. 

The "feel" of using Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 is almost the same as IF you are still using versions 15 and 16. The "look" is different because of the new version 17 icon.  

The speed of "backing-up" and "recovery" for (i) partition and (ii) file/folder is a bit faster than the previous version, Ashampoo Backup Pro 16. 

• Create New Backup Plan

You can either backup your data to a local (network) drive or upload it to the cloud [/i](online storage)[/i]. Simply select an option from the list. Note: If your cloud provider isn't listed you may still be able to use it through "WebDAV". In this case, you will have to  fill in the server address you received from your cloud storage provider manually.

The user can either backup entire disk drives  (image  file) or individual  files and folders. Full disk backups ensure that every  file and application gets saved allowing to restore the drive to a previous state, e.g., in the event of a hardware failure. However, this method requires a lot of time and space. If the user already knows which folders /  files need to be saved, e.g. business documents, he should use the second option (individual files/folders)

To save space and to accelerate the process, it is recommended to enable compression unless the user is planning on opening the backup with a third-party application that does not have compression support. 

Users need to be aware of the major difference in terms of backup verification for between the "Backup files/folders > Backup Storage format > (i) More Efficient, and (ii) More Accessible

"More Efficient" offers verification / validation of backups. "More Accessible" does not. It is not stated in the options provided while creating a new backup plan so please be aware of it.

• Infinite incremental backup 

Once all data has been stored only modified  files will be added on a regular basis. This saves space and accelerates the backup process significantly but there will be dependencies between backups since they build on one another. This may increase their error vulnerability. So, the need for verifications is needed to validate backups. 
  • Rescue System

• "State-of-the-art rescue system : Rescue system based on the latest Windows". This is bannered in the Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 product site. Seems to be lacking and a lot of hype (based on experience and personal opinion). Please read-on below for some factors that "may" contradict with the claim. 

• It is recommended to uninstall any existing "Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit" (WADK) before creating the Rescue System disk/usb. 

This is to avoid issues with Ashampoo Backup Pro 17's reconition issue of an "existing" WADK. When this happens, Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 will ask to connect to the internet to download the WADK it requires but the download will not finish and the app will flash an error. "Rescue System" creation will not push through unless the existing WADK is uninstalled.

Do also take note that Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 requires a later version of the WADK and not the latest Windows 11 WADK. Ashampoo Support also does not specify what version of WADK is required by Ashampoo Backup Pro 17. Their version 17 documentation points to this link for offline download of the WADK. 

Ashampoo Backup Pro 17  downloaded the "Win 10 v19041.1.191206-1406 WADK" on my test system. Not the latest of Windows. 

Based on actual test, Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 detects the presence of an existing WADK package (in my case, the Windows 11 22H2 WADK) but declares elements "absent" or "condition xx evaluates to false". This is an issue verified by Ashampoo Support. 

• The Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 "Rescue System" is based on an earlier version, Ashampoo Backup Pro 16 "Rescue System". Even the Ashampoo Backup Pro 16 icon is reflected in the created "Rescue System" of Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 as shown in the previous images above (see "Rescue system based on the latest Windows" images). 

• The Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 "Rescue System" is mostly "restore ONLY plus tools". The rescue system does not support backup creation or other features such as cloning, screenshots etc., unlike other WinPE rescue systems of alternative backup / imaging applications. 

• No support for rescue system .ISO file creation. Only two (2) options are given to the user, (i) USB Stick, and (ii) CD/DVD (that is IF you still have a working DVD drive with DVD blank discs) 

The next version build of Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 will see some changes. Ashampoo Support is working on it (and is actually preparing build 17.0.1). I will follow-up on the review contents as agreed with Ashampoo Support. I have commited feedback and help with them. 

[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to jasonX for this post:
  • damien76, dhruv2193, dinosaur07, harlan4096, ismail
Thanks for the very good review, jasonX.
I am also gonna test the software.
software enthusiast!
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to dinosaur07 for this post:
  • dhruv2193, harlan4096
Quote:No support for rescue system .ISO file creation. Only two (2) options are given to the user, (i) USB Stick, 
-- I use ImageBurn for "USB-to-ISO". When Macrium did not have ISO creation I used ImageBurn to make ISO of MacriumRescue. But I agree that Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 should have option to create ISO or add in boot menu. Very nice review!
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to damien76 for this post:
  • dhruv2193, harlan4096, ismail
(17 December 22, 06:00)damien76 Wrote:
Quote:No support for rescue system .ISO file creation. Only two (2) options are given to the user, (i) USB Stick, 
-- I use ImageBurn for "USB-to-ISO". When Macrium did not have ISO creation I used ImageBurn to make ISO of MacriumRescue. But I agree that Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 should have option to create ISO or add in boot menu. Very nice review!
-- I too use ImageBurn. In fact I used it in making the ISO of ABP17 WINPE USB. The problem with their USB is that the "etfsboot.com" needed to create the ISO in ImageBurn is not in the WINPE USB.

I had to use the Windows Kit "etfsboot.com" just to create the ISO. And there it is booted in VirtualBox as shown.

So the question is why not give this as an option? The other (better) alternatives has this ISO file option. Why can't Ashampoo do this? Not their priority at the moment. As well as other additional options like the addition of backup feature in their WINPE.

ABP17 still has more room for improvement and the next build should at least really see changes. Even the logo is still version 16 (as shown in the images).

I will follow-up on this when the next buid is out Cheers!
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to jasonX for this post:
  • harlan4096, ismail
Ashampoo Backup Pro v17.02 (2022/12/20) IS OUT!
  • Fix problems when creating rescue system
  • Background performance improved
  • Minor bug fixes

I will follow-up on this in a couple of days. Cheers!
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to jasonX for this post:
  • dhruv2193, harlan4096, ismail
[Image: 4UTp3AU.png]

[Image: vIkm0oC.gif]

[Image: O4QcHkU.gif]

[Image: rxTD0zh.png]
Ashampoo Backup Pro 17.02 Rescue System

• "State-of-the-art rescue system : Rescue system based on the latest Windows". This is "still" bannered in the Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 product site. Same "hype" there. Read-on below for some factors that contradict with the claim. 

• Same recommendation -- to avoid issues with Ashampoo Backup Pro 17.02 rescue system creation. It is recommended to uninstall any existing "Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit" (WADK) before creating the Rescue System disk/usb. 

Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 documentation HERE still states, 
    Quote:If your Internet connection is slow, you may also download the ADK manually on another machine with a faster connection. You will find the setup here:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...oyment-kit

Said link still has the latest for Windows "ADK for Windows 11, version 22H2". This is may cause some confusion because the latest version Ashampoo Backup Pro 17.02 STILL requires a later version and not ADK for Windows 11, version 22H2. 

Ashampoo Backup Pro 17.02  downloaded the "Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit / Windows Preinstallation Environment Add-ons v10.1.22000.1" on my test system. It is where the updated ABP1702-WinPE is based on. 

Ashampoo support updated it from  "Win 10 v19041.1.191206-1406 WADK". Again as mentioned, still not the latest of Windows. I do not understand why Ashampoo cant' state this in the version 17 documentation (their required WADK). And there lies the "hype". 

• The Ashampoo Backup Pro 17.02 "Rescue System" is actually "Ashampoo Rescue System 16.08" from Ashampoo Backup Pro 17.00 --  "Ashampoo Rescue System 16.06". 

• The Ashampoo Backup Pro 17.02 "Rescue System" (Ashampoo Rescue System 16.08) now shows the Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 icon. This is the only difference that I see in the WINPE. If you will see the comparison image below. The content is still almost 90% the same. 

[Image: 04eXzh1.gif]
  • No relevant improvement on the Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 "Rescue System" (Ashampoo Rescue System 16.08). It is still mostly "restore ONLY plus tools". No support for backup creation or other features such as cloning, screenshots etc., unlike other WinPE rescue systems of alternative backup / imaging applications. 

• STILL no support for rescue system .ISO file creation. Only two (2) options are given to the user, (i) USB Stick, and (ii) CD/DVD (that is IF you still have a working DVD drive with DVD blank discs) 

• Only two improvements in the Rescue System which is: 

1. Adaptation of the Ashampoo Backup Pro 17 icon

2. Updated of the WADK from  "Win 10 v19041.1.191206-1406" to Win 10.1.22000.1. 
  • harlan4096, ismail
New update! 

Ashampoo Backup Pro v17.03 (2023/01/04)
  • Bugs Fixed: Fixed minor backup verification bugs. 
  • harlan4096, ismail