Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intel confirms changes to client product naming schema, Core i5 could become Core (Ul
Information 
Quote:Intel to say goodbye to its iconic Core i9/i7/i5/i3 branding

Following the leak featuring an upcoming Meteor Lake-P processor, Intel came forward to confirm product name change. 

[Image: INTEL-CORE-ULTRA-NAMING-BANNER-1200x359.jpg]

Bernard Fernandes (Director, Global Communications at Intel Corporation) confirmed the rumors about Intel changing the product naming. Last week an entry over at Ashes of the Singularity website listed a new product called Core Ultra 5 1003H. Now it appears that Intel will indeed be replacing the Core i5 branding with a new Core 5 segmentation.

Neither the leak nor the tweet from Intel Director mentions if the branding changes will affect both mobile and desktop series. As we know, the company is set to introduce a refresh of its Raptor Lake series later this year. Some say that this refresh will be part of the next-gen Core lineup in one form or another. Should that be the case, this product naming change could also impact Raptor Lake.

Quote:Yes, we are making brand changes as we’re at an inflection point in our client roadmap in preparation for the upcoming launch of our #MeteorLake processors. We will provide more details regarding these exciting changes in the coming weeks! #Intel
— Bernard Fernandes (@Bernard_P) May 1, 2023

Leakers claim that the “Ultra” part might be optional and only apply to newer SKUs, not refreshed parts.

Possible Intel Core Mobile H-series rebranding (Ultra is optional):
  • Core i9 1XX00H → Core (Ultra) 9 1X0XH
  • Core i7 1XX00H → Core (Ultra) 7 1X0XH
  • Core i5 1XX00H → Core (Ultra) 5 1X0XH
  • Core i3 1XX00H → Core (Ultra) 3 1X0XH
As for the reason cited, an Intel Director says that the company is at an inflection point as the development of next-gen client products progresses. Intel should provide an update to this new product naming schema in the coming weeks.

It is worth noting that AMD made a similar change to its mobile product naming last year. It allowed AMD to mix as many as three Zen and two RDNA architectures under one product stack. This approach could be mirrored by Intel.
Continue Reading