Intel releases eTVB microcode fix and new Default Settings for 13/14th Gen Core i5/i7
Exclamation 
Quote:New Default Settings for Core i5/i7 SKUs, eTVB microcode update, but no final solution to instability issues

Intel has released a new statement on the instability issue observed in some 13th and 14th Gen Core “Raptor Lake” processors. The good news is that Intel is actively working on the problem, but the bad news is that there is no final solution yet.

[Image: INTEL-CORE-HERO-1200x624.jpg]

While investigating the cause of the instability, Intel has taken two steps so far. The first was to introduce new Baseline and Late Default settings to be implemented by motherboard makers. Once users flash these into the motherboard, the processors will run within Intel’s recommended specs. Unfortunately, this requires users to manually flash the BIOS, which will probably be very unpopular (who likes to flash BIOSes?).

The alternative is to manually change the settings, for which Intel is providing the full spec sheet. The names of the technologies and where they can be found will vary depending on the motherboard maker. So, unless you are absolutely sure of what you’re doing, it is probably easier to just flash the new BIOS.

Additionally, Intel is releasing new Default Settings for Core i5 and Core i7 SKUs, such as the 13600/14600/13700/14700 models:

[Image: Thomas_Hannaford_0-1718725426624.png]
Intel Default Settings, Source:Intel

What’s new, though not technically since it was leaked, is that Intel confirmed a bug in the Enhanced Thermal Velocity Boost (eTVB) algorithm. It was incorrectly reported as the root cause of the instability problems. Intel confirms that the bug does indeed contribute to the instability, but the investigation is still ongoing, and this is not the root cause. The company is looking into the issue and will share updates with the community.
Continue Reading